Saturday, January 15, 2005

Remembering Eddie Little...



I first met Eddie Little in 1997. I'd just got a new fax machine, and Jerry Stahl passed on my number to Eddie. After a short phone call, I recieved a 10 page fax. The first ten pages of 'Another Day In Paradise,' in manuscript form. It was early days, still I published those ten pages in a magazine called 'Men's Perspective.' After that me and Eddie became firm friends. He was easy to like. He was the real thing - a gentlemanly villain straight from the pages of an old Mickey Spillane novella.

Last night, Margie drove me down Beverly, and we passed the Bevonshire Motel. Eddie had stayed there. I think he stayed there close to the end. It's no great mystery why we fell-out. And for those who know the story, it's obvious why anyone would part ways, even with a friend, in that sort of situation. Still, I'm sorry that we lost touch.

I hadn't spoke to Eddie in several years...

Me and Margie were in Skylight Books, and she spotted a copy of 'Steel Toes' (his second novel). I was mentioned in the flyleaf, on the thanks page... It reads "Trevor Miller - M.I.A." After some prodding from Marge, I decided I should probably get in contact with Ed. A week or two passed. I was in the parking lot of Franchise Pictures with Tracee Stanley (en route to a meeting). That was when my cell-phone rang. Dave Basulto was on the other end...

"Have you seen the LA Times today?" He asked.

Eddie's obituary was in the Newspaper that morning.

I planned on going to the Memorial Service, but I didn't. I guess there would've been too many other guys there that I didn't want to see. All that aside. There are still many places I pass, and think of Eddie. Places like the Bevonshire, especially the likes of Victor's Diner, near Beachwood Canyon....

I remember sitting in the parking lot of Victor's, and Eddie asked "what should I call my book?" We would often joke about L.A., and being broke. He'd always say; "Ah well... Another Day in Paradise..." That's where the name of the book came from. In retrospect, they were good times. Some fun. Some desperate. But life was always full of surprises when you were with Eddie...

I guess I just miss my friend.
Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise