Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Prince Buster and the return of Al Capone...


In starting to research music for the documentary about my father's record store, I have been listening to and compiling various early Rock-Steady and Blue-Beat tracks... It seems strange to see this music in my I-Tunes playlist, as I haven't listened to much of it for around a decade. Drawn largely from the mid to late '60s, most of the tunes remain strangely fresh and contemporary. You can hear the roots of early reggae in these tracks - but they are much grittier, and the inherent humor makes them seem quite racy, even by today's standards. I was surprised to read somewhere that Prince Buster had retired to Miami, Florida. I was also thrilled to find a Lord Kitchener Calypso track from 1960 called, ironically enough: Margie. Much Rap music unwittingly takes a leaf from the book of Kitchener - his rhymes are clever and off-center. I have posted AL CAPONE by Prince Buster - for your enjoyment...
LISTEN to Prince Buster's Al Capone
Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise